Why It Matters
The House Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense's Navy budget hearing on May 12 exposed a stark funding crisis: the Navy will run out of operating money by July. The Trump administration's $377.5 billion FY27 Navy and Marine Corps budget request, a 23 percent increase over last year, drew bipartisan skepticism over how it's structured, how it will be passed, and whether the defense industrial base can actually execute it.
The Big Picture
The hearing came three weeks after the administration released its FY27 budget and just weeks after Hung Cao was installed as Acting Secretary of the Navy. Naval forces are deployed across multiple active theaters, including ongoing operations in the Middle East under Operation Epic Fury, counter-narcotics missions in the Caribbean, and freedom-of-navigation patrols in the South China Sea.
Columbia- and Virginia-class submarine programs are delayed by 18 to 42 months. Shipyard attrition is high. Munitions stockpiles are depleted. The administration's Golden Fleet Initiative, which calls for adding 34 new ships and 123 aircraft in FY27 alone, is the centerpiece of the request, but more than $38.8 billion of the $377.5 billion total sits in mandatory reconciliation funding, outside the appropriations subcommittee's direct control.
What They're Saying
- Rep. Ken Calvert (R-CA-41), subcommittee chair: "Speed without accountability is how programs go sideways."
- Rep. Betty McCollum (D-MN-4), ranking member: "I need to know what I'm buying. Because I don't know what it is yet."
- Daryl Caudle, Chief of Naval Operations, U.S. Navy: "Without both being passed, I am deeply concerned."
The most electric exchange of the hearing involved the administration's request for $43 billion over five years for a new nuclear-powered guided missile battleship, including $1 billion in long-lead procurement for FY27, with concept design still underway. McCollum pressed Cao directly: the Navy doesn't yet know the ship's length, crew size, or full weapons payload.
Cao acknowledged the design isn't finalized, but argued the requirement for a large combatant has existed for decades. Caudle pushed back more confidently, describing the ship as the "high end of a capital ship in the high-low mix" and confirming it will use the same A1B reactor as the Ford-class carriers.
McCollum was unconvinced. "People back home are going to ask me, show me the design, show me the product, show me what you're buying with my tax dollars," she said, requesting additional information before the subcommittee's June 11 markup deadline.
Calvert echoed her skepticism, raising the question of whether more destroyers wouldn't be a better investment: "Quantity is a quality all of its own."
The mandatory funding dispute animated much of the rest of the hearing. Rep. Ed Case (D-HI-1) pressed Caudle directly on who decided to place 48 Percent of Navy weapons procurement in mandatory reconciliation accounts, compared to zero for ammunition. Caudle was candid: "OMB makes the final call on that, not the Department of the Navy." Rep. Joseph Morelle (D-NY-25) followed up, asking whether the service chiefs were even consulted. Caudle said there was some back-and-forth but that he was "not part of the decision-making process."
Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT-3) zeroed in on submarine workforce gaps, noting that delivery depends on people as much as funding. Caudle's answer surprised some members: the bottleneck isn't welders, it's first- and second-year engineers who convert design drawings into production documents. "I don't think we're leveraging artificial intelligence and large language models to compensate for that effectively," he said. McCollum separately raised concerns about proposed contract language that would allow the government to remove two submarines for underperformance, calling it a potential disincentive that could create delays. Cao is committed to providing a full spending plan.
Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR-3) pressed Caudle on requirements creep in shipbuilding programs, invoking the film The Pentagon Wars. Caudle agreed that the problem is systemic and called for modular construction, more shipyard robotics, and greater use of AI in production planning. "We have for far too long gone into shipbuilding with the design not being mature enough at the start," he said.
Eric Smith, Commandant, U.S. Marine Corps drew rare praise from both sides. Rep. Brian Mast (R-FL-21) highlighted that the Marine Corps submitted no unfunded priority list, a signal that Smith views the full budget request as sufficient if both discretionary and mandatory portions pass. Smith confirmed: "That is correct if we receive them both."
Political Stakes
Cao's tenure began just three weeks before the hearing, and he entered under significant scrutiny. DefenseScoop reported on May 2 that he fired the Chief of Naval Intelligence and canceled an ongoing reorganization effort in his first week. His hearing performance was his first extended public accountability moment as acting secretary. For the administration, the hearing exposed a structural vulnerability: key programs, including F-35 procurement, Tomahawk and Standard missile production, and shipbuilding industrial base investments, are parked in reconciliation, a legislative vehicle that carries real passage risk. The subcommittee has already had to fix similar shortfalls in FY26 after reconciliation funding fell through.
Calvert's public posture, "I am accountable to the taxpayers, and Mr. Secretary, you are accountable to me," signals that even Republican appropriators are not prepared to give the administration a blank check. The June 11 markup deadline gives the subcommittee real leverage to demand design details, spending plans, and execution timelines before committing funds.
Caudle acknowledged the Navy has 80 ships on contract with 59 in production, and said the Korean and Japanese shipyard study is about importing production techniques, not outsourcing. Cao pointed to recruiting exceeding targets by more than 11,000 sailors this year and argued that two decades of deferred maintenance and underfunding during the Iraq and Afghanistan wars created the current backlog. "For every 30 days that a ship is extended on deployment, it adds 6 Percent of maintenance," he told Rep. Pete Aguilar (D-CA-33), a figure that underscores the compounding cost of the current operational tempo.
What's Next
The subcommittee's June 11 markup is the next major deadline. The administration is expected to submit a supplemental funding request to cover Operation Epic Fury costs, currently estimated at $29 billion. Caudle warned that the Navy will begin cutting training and certification events in July without new appropriations. A Senate Appropriations hearing on the Navy FY27 request was scheduled for the week of May 18. The Navy's FA-XX sixth-generation fighter down-select is expected this summer.
The Bottom Line:
The Navy needs money now, but Congress isn't writing checks for ships it can't see designs for.
Access the Legis1 platform for comprehensive political news, data, and insights.
